How to use an Air Fryer, How good is Air Fryer, Benefits of using an air fryer
We hear a lot about Air Fryers in India now, so we will explain how to use an air fryer and the benefits and advantages of air fryer cooking. Using an air fryerair fryer to cook is healthy because only very little oil is required when frying in an air fryer and this leads to a healthy diet. Cooking in an air fryer is easy, makes tasty food and is a healthy way of cooking. The food is being cooked by hot air circulating around the food and since the hot air is in a closed circuit inside an insulated container, the efficiency of air fryer cooking is very good. The Electricity used by an Air Fryer is only about 0.25 units for a normal cooking cycle of 15 minutes.
The main advantage of Air fryer cooking is that air fryer usage is very easy and even though the air fried food contains very little oil, the air fried food still tastes great. This is because the outside of the food is quickly fried and sealed with the fast moving hot air around the food and the food cooks in its on moisture retaining all the flavours. The air fried food is crispy on the outside and tender, soft and juicy inside.
The air fryer uses just very little oil, for example potato chips made in an air fryer contains 80% less oil than potato chips made by conventional deep frying. The air fried potato chips tastes better and contains so much less calories that you can eat as much as you want. Also making the potato chips in an air-fryer is so easy.
Advantages of using an Air Fryer
The other major advantages of Air Fryers is the convenience of use of air fryer for frying. The cooking is done in a few minutes, you do not have to stand over the air fryer like when food is being deep fried in hot oil over a gas burner with your face just over the frying pan breathing in the oil fumes and the burnt gases.
You can put the food for frying in an air fryer and you can go about your other work or just relax on a sofa. The automatic temperature control and the automatic timer on the air fryer makes sure the food is fried just right and the Air Fryer offs by itself. Even if the food is left inside the air fryer for a long time after the air fryer switches off, the food will not burn in an Air Fryer. This is because the air fryer has less specific heat to transfer to the food when the electric power is switched off. To explain it simply, the Electric Air Fryer parts do not store heat because the air fryer body parts are light weight. So once the main heating coil is turned off, there is no more heat in the body parts of the air fryer to burn the food inside.
How does an Air Fryer work
Below we have an official video released by Philips, the world's leading air fryer manufacturer, explaining how an air fryer works. It is a very short video of roughly one minute.
"This video explains the Rapid Air technology used in the innovative new Philips Airfryer. Using Rapid Air technology, the Philips air fryer circulates hot air around a metal mesh cooking basket, requiring little or no oil as it fries, bakes and grills.
Philips air fryer with Rapid Air technology also creates less smell than conventional fryers, it is easy to clean, safe and economical for your daily use!"
What can you cook in an Airfryer
Here in summary is what you can cook in an Air Fryer and what the advantages of cooking with an Air fryer are:
- Air Fries, bakes, grills and roasts food using very little oil like one or two tea spoons.
- Air Frying gives great tasting food, like deep frying without oil
- Can cook automatically by setting the cooking time and temperature
- The Air Fryer shuts off automatically and an alarm rings to tell you that the cooking is over.
- The Air Fryer is a very safe way of cooking, there is no danger of oil fires, hot oil splattering over you while putting food into hot oil.
- The Air Fryer is healthier not only with less oil, but also you do not breath in the burnt oil fumes like when your face is over the frying pan on a gas burner
- Air Fryer tray can be washed and Dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Most Air Fryers give a free Recipe Book with plenty of recipes.
How much electricity does an air fryer use
We will examine the maximum electricity an Air fryer uses. Let us take the case of the Air fryer with the highest electric power rating of an air fryer in India, which is 1500 watts. The maximum time an air fryer needs to cook a main meal is about 30 minutes. During this 30 minutes, the air fryer heater will not be 'ON' all the time, meaning that there will be intervals when the heater coil will be switched off by the automatic temperature control when the cooking temperature has reached the set cooking temperature. The heater of an air fryer consumes more than 90% of the power, the blower and other parts together consume less than 10% of the power. So it can be safely assumed that the air fryer heater coil power is 'ON' for two thirds of the time during cooking and one third of the time the power to heating coil will be 'OFF'.
Two thirds is = 0.67 and 30 minutes = 0.5 hours. So the air fryer will consume 1500x0.5x0.67 = 502.5 watt hours or approximately 0.5 Kilo-Watt Hours or half a unit of electricity per air fryer cooking cycle of 30 minutes. An air fryer cooking time with 30 minutes is only reached on rare occasions, most of the recipes for air frying takes only about 15 minutes on an average. Thus the maximum electricity an air fryer can use is not more than half a unit of electricity in a day. In case you do 2 air frying cooking of 30 minutes each, the maximum electric power consumed by the air fryer will only be 1 unit of electricity in a day. The Air Fryer in the example given above is the one with 1500 watts power, but most of the Air Fryers have a power rating which is less than 1500 watts and therefore consume much less than the half unit of electricity in a day.
Tips for using Air Fryer
These are some the important Air fryer usage tips
- When air frying smaller food items like French fries you should shake the air fryer basket once or twice during cooking. This ensures even cooking and prevents the food from sticking together.
- Should not overfill the air fryer basket, because this prevents hot air from circulating evenly over all of the food and will increase the cooking time. You will get better tasting food if the food is air fried in smaller batches.
- Try to get a sprayer which can spray oil all over the food before air frying. This way less oil will be used, the food will be evenly coated with less oil and you get better tasting air fried food.
- When air frying food on which you used bread crumbs, be sure that the bread crumbs are wet enough to stick to the food so as not to come off in the fast air flow around the food. If too dry, then bread crumbs can become airborne and may become burnt and cause excess smoke and may blocking the air filter in the air fryer. Wetting with beaten egg white liquid, the parts being coated with bread crumbs, is a good solution.
Air fryer Indian recipes
We have a list of the best free air fryer cook books available for download online as pdf files. These Airfryer recipes include airfryer vegetarian recipes. Please make use of them:
Here is a list of some of the best online Air fryer Indian recipes
- A good selection of Indian air fryer recipes on Pinterest.com
- Online air fryer Recipes from : Prestige Appliances India
- Philips USA: cook book recipes
- Philips India: 25 tasty, healthy and quick recipes
- Philips USA: air fryer Cook book Recipes by Chef Vivek Saggar
- Philips USA: cook book recipes
- Kenstar OxyFryer has many recipes on their website like:
Vegetarian Short eats || Non-Veg Starters || Vegetarian Meal || Non-Veg Meals || Sweets & Baked items || Recipe Videos
These are some of the best Recipe books on Air Fryers that is available for purchase from Amazon.in
- On sale at Amazon.in: Hot Air Frying by Paul Brodel
- On sale at Amazon.in: The Skinny Hot Air Fryer Cookbook - Delicious & Simple Meals for Your Hot Air Fryer, Discover the Healthier Way to Fry
How to cook Indian food in an Air Fryer
Since Indian cooking means frying the masalas first and then adding the ingredients, the ordinary static type air fryers cannot do this job. You need the special type of air fryers with a rotating paddle and a pan. Air fryers which can suit the Indian way of cooking are for example the DeLongi, Tefal and Halo Airfryers described at the bottom of this page.
This is the general method of using an air fryer for Indian curry. First pour on the pan all the required oil for the curry and fry chopped onions till the onions turn transparent or brown to your liking. The Air Fryer is then stopped and the lid opened to add the required spices and masalas. Then again the air fryer lid is closed and air fried for about a minute till the masala raw smell has gone. The airfryer has to be stopped again, the lid opened to add vegetable cubes or meat pieces with required salt.
The Air Fryer lid is now closed for the final time and the ingredients allowed to cook for about 5 minutes for vegetables or about 15 minutes for raw meat. The juices from raw meat is usually enough to cook the meat. In case the vegetables or meat requires more cooking, they can be pre-cooked in a pressure cooker and the air frying time adjusted accordingly. This is just a general guide line to use an air fryer to make a semi-dry Indian curry in a hurry. I have owned a Tefal Actifry Air Fryer for almost 2 years and use this air fryer cooking method to make delicious curries whenever my wife goes on holidays.
To see the best air fryers available in India visit our page Best air fryers for Indian Cooking